Recipe updated with video
For me preparation of Vella seedai is always tricky and to be more honest it failed me many times either the vella seedai will come too hard or when i put it in oil everything will dissolve in oil. For the past 4 years i have never attempted to make vella seedai and last Saturday a sudden thought came into my mind that i should try making Vella seedai. So I started immediately and the entire process went on well and i clicked step wise pictures and when the final stage of putting in the oil came, everything went into a disaster!! Yes they all get dissolved in the oil.
I felt little bad , but i never gave up. Again I made a fresh batch following a few tips from my friend’s mom who is here. To my surprise i got perfect Vella Seedais and now i can happily say that i can make Vella seedais too!! Check out my uppu seedai recipe. Check out my full collection of Janmashtami | krishnajayanthi recipes
Vella seedai recipe
Preparation Time : 45 mins | Cooking Time :1 hour |Makes: 40 seedais approx.
Home made rice flour 1 cup
Roasted urad dal flour 1 tblsp
Jaggery 1/2 cup
Butter 2 tblsp
Sesame seeds 1 tsp
Grated coconut 2 tblsp
Elachi powder a pinch
Oil for deep frying
Ghee 1/2 tsp
Video for vella seedai
To make Urad dal flour:
- Dry roast 4 tblsp of urad dhal in a pan.
- Just roast till golden brown.
- When it is cool, make it a fine powder in a mixie.
- Sieve the flour twice.
- Keep the flour in a airtight container till you use.
- Roast the rice flour and urad dal flour in a dry pan on low flame . Be careful not to change the colour. Roast for 1-2 mins.
- Sieve this flour and roast it again.
- Repeat this process twice.
- Be very careful not to over roast the flour by changing the colour.
- Keep it aside.
- In a dry pan roast the sesame seeds till they become golden brown colour. Add it to the sieved flour.
- In a dry pan roast the coconut till they become golden brown colour. Add it to the sieved flour.
- Add butter and cardamom powder to this.
- In a saucepan add the jaggery and add 2 tblsp of water to this.
- Melt the jaggery and boil till it comes to a rolling boil.
- Switch off the flame and slowly filter the jaggery water and add it to the flour mixture and mix this gently with the spoon.
- Make it into a pliable tight dough.
- Either you may end up in leaving a few tblsp of jaggery water or you may tend to add 2-3 tblsp of water to make it a tight dough.
- I added 2 tblsp of water to make it into a dough.
- Roll them into a small balls( slightly bigger than uppu seedai)
- spread them in a Kitchen towel or a newspaper as it will absorb the excess moisture.Let this sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Slowly drop the seedai balls in oil in small batches.
- Do not add too much in oil at a time
- Keep the flame in medium low else it will not get cooked inside.
- When it becomes nice brown color take out and drain in the kitchen towel.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- When it is completely cool store this in a airtight container.
- It is common to get cracks in vella seedai after it is fried.
Tips for making perfect vella seedai:
- Always roast the flour and sieve them twice. This will avoid the seedai from bursting.
- If the jaggery is too much and the dough is little soft the seedai will dissolve in oil once you drop them.
- So always ensure that the dough is tight. Even you are left with a few spoons of jaggery water doesn’t matter.
- Never skip to roast the sesame seeds and coconut.
- You can use the store bought rice flour too.
- Always cook the seedai in low flame so that it will be cooked from inside too.