For me preparation of Vella seedai is always tricky and to be more honest it failed me many times either the vella seedai will come too hard or when i put it in oil everything will dissolve in oil. For the past 4 years i have never attempted to make vella seedai and last Saturday a sudden thought came into my mind that i should try making Vella seedai. So I started immediately and the entire process went on well and i clicked stepwise pictures and when the final stage of putting in the oil came, everything went into a disaster!! Yes they all get dissolved in the oil.
I felt little bad , but i never gave up. Again I made a fresh batch following a few tips from my friend’s mom who is here. To my surprise i got perfect Vella Seedais and now i can happily say that i can make Vella seedais too!!
INGREDIENTS:(YIELDS- 35 TO 40 SEEDAIS)
|RICE FLOUR||1 CUP|
|URAD DAL FLOUR||1 TBLSP|
|SESAME SEEDS||2 TSP|
|GRATED COCONUT||1 TBLSP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
- Roast the rice flour in a dry pan on low flame . Be careful not to change the colour. Roast for 1-2 mins.
- Sieve this flour and roast it again.
- Repeat this process twice.
- Be very careful not to over roast the flour by changing the colour.
- Keep it aside.
- Dry roast 4 tblsp of urad dhal in a pan.
- Just roast till golden brown.
- When it is cool, make it a fine powder in a mixie.
- Sieve the flour twice.
- Keep the flour in a airtight container till you use.
- In a dry pan roast the sesame seeds and grated coconut till they become golden brown colour.
- In a wide bowl add the roasted rice flour and urad dal. Add the roasted sesame seeds and butter.
- In a saucepan add the jaggery and add 2 tblsp of water to this.
- Melt the jaggery and filter the impurities.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder and boil till it comes to a rolling boil.
- Switch off the flame and slowly add this to the flour mixture and mix this gently with the spoon.
- Make it into a pliable tight dough.
- Either you may end up in leaving a few tblsp of jaggery water or you may tend to add 2-3 tblsp of water to make it a tight dough.
- I added 2 tblsp of water to make it into a dough.
- Roll them into a small balls( slightly bigger than uppu seedai)
- spread them in a Kitchen towel or a newspaper as it will absorb the excess moisture.Let this sit for 10minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Slowly drop the seedai balls in oil in small batches.
- Do not add too much in oil at a time.
- Keep the flame in medium low else it will not get cooked inside.
- When it becomes nice brown color take out and drain in the kitchen towel.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- When it is completely cool store this in a airtight container.
- It is common to get cracks in vella seedai after it is fried.
Tips for making perfect vella seedai:
- Always roast the flour and sieve them twice. This will avoid the seedai from bursting.
- If the jaggery is too much and the dough is little soft the seedai will dissolve in oil once you drop them.
- So always ensure that the dough is tight. Even you are left with a few spoons of jaggery water doesn’t matter.
- Never skip to roast the sesame seeds and coconut.
- I used the store bought rice flour. You can wash and soak the raw rice for 1- 2 hours and dry them in a towel and make flour out of this.
- Always cook the seedai in low flame so that it will be cooked from inside too.