Vepampoo raam (Neem flower rasam)is a must one in the Tamil new year recipe menu. My mom just add ghee roasted vepampoo in the usual tomato rasam but my mil makes a simple vepampoo rasam without any dal. In my in laws place we make Vepampoo rasam once in 2 weeks during weekends. After coming here, i never made as i didn’t find neem flowers here. Few weeks back, Raks shared with me a good amount of vepampoo (dried neem flowers) and i made this vepampoo rasam . So i am sharing the recipe of vepampoo rasam .
The rasam will not taste bitter, but if u bite the neem flowers it will give a slight bitter taste.
|DRIED NEEM FLOWERS||2 TBLSP|
|THIN TAMARIND EXTACT||1 CUP|
|TOOR DAL||1/4 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|JAGGERY||A SMALL PIECE|
- In a pan, add ghee and roast the neem flowers. Roast till they become golden colour and be careful not to burn it.
- Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add oil mustard seeds and add the red chiili and toor dal.when the dal changes color add the tamarind water , turmeric powder,salt and asafoetida.
- Let this boil in a medium flame for few minutes.(7-9 minutes)
- Add the jaggery(powdered)
- Switch off the flame and add the roasted neem flowers.
- Do not boil the rasam after adding the neem flowers.