INGREDIENTS: FOR POORANAM
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 CUP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|RICE FLOUR | IDIYAPPAM FLOUR||1 CUP|
|WATER||1 AND 1/4 CUP|
|SESAME OIL||1 TSP|
|SALT||A PINCH (OPTIONAL)|
METHOD TO MAKE POORNAM:
- Dry roast the channa dal for 5 minutes. Take care not to get it burnt.
- Soak it in water for 1/2 an hour.
- Pressure cook till 2-3 whistles. Completely drain the water.
- Let this cool. Once cool, grind this in mixer along with coconut and cardamom powder.
- Grind this smoothly. Add jaggery in the last and pulse once or twice.
- Poornam is done. If you feel the mixture is bit watery, don’t worry. Add ghee in a pan and saute for 5 minutes in a low flame. The poornam will come to the right consistency.
- When it is cool, divide it into equal parts.
METHOD FOR MAKING OUTER DOUGH
- In a wide bowl take the flour. Bring the water to rolling boil. add sesame oil and salt in the water. If using idiyappam flour do not add salt.
- Once the water starts boiling, switch off the flame and add the water to the flour. Mix it well with a spoon.
- Cover it for 2 minutes. when it is warm, grease your hands with sesame oil and knead into a pliable dough. Divide the dough into equal parts. Cover it else it will get dry.
- Take out one portion of the dough .
- With you fingers make a small cup out of it and place the poornam in that.
- Cover it and make into a modakam shape.
- Do it for rest of the dough and poornam.
- Grease the idli maker and steam these modakams for 10 minutes.
- When done,allow this to cool for 2 minutes and take it out.
- Modakam with kadalai paruppu poornam is ready for neivedhyam.
- The outer dough for perfectly for 23 modakams. The poornam was left for 6 modakams. We had it as it is.
- always cover the dough with moist cloth, else the kozhukattis will get cracked after steaming.