Sodhi recipe is a popular gravy from the district of Tirunelveli,a town in Tamilnadu . I have been asked by many readers to post this sodhi kuzhambu here for a long time. Though i have heard about this from my mom, never tasted or tried at home. It is similar to the Vegetable stew recipe which we make for aapam. Though there are few versions in the sodhi recipe, i am posting a simple version of Tirunelveli sodhi kuzhambu. This goes very well with aapam, idiyappam and even dosa too.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Mixed vegetables 1/2 cup (carrot+beans+peas)
Green chili 2
Moong dal 2 tblsp
Thin Cocunut Milk 2 cups
Thick coconut milk 1/2 cup
Salt as needed
Oil 2 tsp
- Cut the beans and carrot lengthwise. Slice the onions lengthwise. You can use potato, drumstick and even cabbage.Cook the moong dal in pressure cooker by adding water .
- In a pan add oil and add int the slit green chilies. Add the sliced onions. Saute till the onion turns pink. Be careful not to burnt it and the colour should not change.
- Add in the vegetables and saute for a minute. Add the thin coconut milk. Let the vegetables cook in the thin coconut milk.
- Keep the cooked moong dal ready.
- Add in the moong dal to this and add littlewater to get a kulambu consistency.
- Add salt at this stage. Let this come to a boil. Once it starts boiling keep the flame low and add in the thick coconut milk. Mix well and just when it was about to boil switch off the flame.
- Sodhi is ready to serve. This tastes best with idiyappam, aapam and even dosa too. Even with hot rice also this goes very well.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice. Generally, drumstick, yam, potato will be added.
- Do not add more moong dal than the quantity mentioned. Else it will make the gravy very thcik.
- Instead of adding slit green chili, you can grind green chili and 1 tsp of chuntey dal(pottukadalai) and little coconut and add it to the gravy after the veggies are cooked.
- I used fresh coconut milk. If using store bought one, for thin coconut milk dilute the thick coconut milk to cook the vegetables.