Green peas is in season now. I have given this kurma recipe for Aval vikatan supplement, which i did a year back. This peas kurma| peas korma| pattani kurma, goes well with poori, chapathi and even for biryani too. I have given this for the book as Mushroom peas kurma. But now i didn't add mushroom in this recipe. This peas kurma is a super hit at home. Right now i am in chennai on vacation . So please bear with delay in replying your mails. Check out my peas masala recipe and peas curry too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4
Green Peas 1 cup
Coconut 2 tblsp
Cashew nuts 6
Kal paasi 1
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Oil 3-4 tsp
Bay leaf 1 optional
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely. Peel the skin of garlic.
- In a pan add oil and add the finely chopped onions and garlic pods. When the onions become translucent add the tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Since i don't have fennel seeds i added the fennel powder too. If adding seeds you can add now.
- Allow this to cool completely. Grind this into a fine paste by adding coconut, kalpaasi and cashew nuts.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the bay leaf, if adding and add the ground masala.
- Cook for 3 minutes in a low flame and add the green peas. I used the frozen one and so i didn't cook separately. If using fresh peas pressure cook this for 1-2 whistles.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or little more to reach the right consistency. Add salt, Let this boil for 5-7 minutes in a medium flame.
- Switch off the flame till it reaches the right consistency.
- Peas kurma | pattani kurma is ready to serve. We enjoyed this with hot pooris. Perfect for rotis and pooris.
- After grinding everything you can , you can put in a cooker and add peas and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
- Adding kalpaasi is optional. But for kurma it is highly recommended. We call it stone flower in english.