This taste so yum,when accompanied by parruppu usili.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Appalam | papad 2
Tamarind extract 2 cups
Sambar powder 3 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Sesame oil 2 tsp
Jaggery 1 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Venthayam | methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Red chili 2
- Soak Tamarind in hot water and extract juice from this using 2 cups of water.
- Throw away the pulp.
- Cut the appalams in to small pieces.
- In a kadai, heat the oil and temper with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chilles.
- When done, throw in the appalams and fry for a minute.
- The appalams will get fried.
- Now add the tamarind extract, sambar powder,turmeric powder, salt, asafoetida and jaggery to it.
- Allow it to boil for 10 – 12 mins in medium flame.
- When it reaches the desired consistency, switch off the flame.
- Add a tsp of sesame oil to it.
- Add the curry leaves to it.
- Enjoy with hot rice.
I served with Kootu made with chow chow. Appalam has salt in it so please add salt accordingly.