Bitter gourd or pavakkai(in tamil) is mostly made at my place in the form of pitlai or curry, but whatever it is kids will not touch bitter gourd in any form. When nags posted this bitter gourd fry in her space a long back i tried that and so surprisingly my daughter loved that one very much. After a very long time suddenly i remembered of that and made this for lunch last week and again she enjoyed a lot . She was on the back of me to post this recipe in my space and here i am with the recipe for bitter gourd fry which i tried from Edible Garden
|RED CHILLI POWDER
||A GENEROUS PINCH
||FOR DEEP FRYING
- Wash and cut the bitter gourd in to two and take out the seeds.
- Cut them into thin slices.
- As per the original recipe, we have to rub it with salt and keep it aside for an hour. But i totally forgot and added the rice flour, salt, garam masala powder, asafoetida, red chilli powder and pepper powder.
- Mix well.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil till it becomes hot for deep frying.
- The moisture oozed from the mixture is enough and no need to add any water for binding.
- Deep fry in batches and when it turns golden brown drain in a kitchen towel.
- We had this with sambar rice.
- This tasted crisp even the next day also as i stored the left over fries in a air tight box and kept inside the fridge.
- Cut the bitter gourd into thin slices, else they won’t get cooked inside.
- You can also cut the bitter gourd and rub them with salt and keep it aside for and hour. After an hour squeeze out the excess water and follow the remaining steps mentioned above.