Raw Mango dal | mamidikaya pappu is a popular dal recipe of andhra, the dal is cooked with raw mangoes and mild spices. As mango is in season, I thought I will post this mango dal recipe. the friend of mine from whom I learnt andhra pulihora taught me this mango dal too. It is a very easy recipe and it turned out very well. Try out this mango dal in this mango season and i am sure you will love this mamidikaya pappu . This goes well with rice and roti too. Check out my cut mango pickle and avakkai pickle too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Raw mango 1/2 cup (cubes)
Toor dal 3/4 cup (uncooked)
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Red chili 2
Green chili 2 – 3
Garlic 2 pods
Ginger a small piece
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Curry leaves few
Ghee 1 tblsp
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin | jeera 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
- Peel and cut the mango into cubes and cook it in little water.
- Wash and and cook the dal with enough water and turmeric powder.
- Alternatively you can microwave the mango pieces till soft.
- Chop the onions finely, slit the green chili and finely chop the garlic and ginger too.
- In a pan add ghee and add mustard seeds, cumin, slit green chilies and red chilies.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and ginger. Add the asafoetida too.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add the finely chopped onions. Cook till the onions are translucent.
- Mix well and add water to bring it to the dal consistency.
- Genrally mango dal will be thick, but i made it little thin like the usual dal.
- Allow this to boil for 5 minutes. Add curry leaves and switch it off.
- Mango dal is ready to serve.
- To make it simple you can cook the dal along with whole garlic, chopped onions, chopped ginger and cut mangoes.
- Lastly temper the mustard and chili in the ghee + oil and add the cooked mashed mango dal.
- Add green chili according to the sourness of the mango.