I have tried many recipes with methi leaves, and this methi puri is in my to do list for a long time. Last week i got a fresh bunch of methi leaves from the Indian store and finally made this methi poori. It tasted very well and i had this for my lunch along with a glass of Masala chaas. It is best one to make and carry for picnics as it won’t get spoil soon. You can pack this for kids lunch box too. Unlike other pooris this will not puff very big as i have added besan(kadalaimaavu) to this. If you want puffed pooris , just skip the besan and make puffed pooris. The recipe was given by my friend, who makes this methi puri very well.
Check out my Methi Thepla and Methi Pakora.
- In a wide bowl add all the ingredients except oil. Chop the methi leaves and add. Make it into a smooth dough. Do not make it too loose. Take care that it should not be very dry and with cracks. Add little oil in the last and knead smoothly. Cover the dough.
- Heat the oil for frying.
- When the oil is heating up, make the dough into equal balls.
- Dust them if needed and roll it into a small discs. Do not make it too thin.
- Repeat this for the rest of the dough. You can roll 5 to 6 puris at a time and fry it one by one.
- When the oil is hot carefully add one puri at a time. Deep fry them on both sides till the get nice golden brown color. Drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with a simple raitha or if you want you can have with Potato masala
- This poori even when it is eaten after few hours , tastes wonderful with the flavor of the methi leaves infused in it.
- You can grind the methi leaves along with green chilli and add to the dough . In that case, skip the red chilli powder.
- Ajwain seeds can be replaced by cumin seeds.