I am still getting back to the routine after a hectic and fun filled India trip. I thought i will take my camera from Monday but i can’t stay away from that. While returning back from India, in the flight, we are served with Moong dal puttu in the flight. It was a small portion but tasted very well. Me and Suresh happily relished the puttu and recalled all the wonderful moments about the trip. From yesterday i was thinking i should make this moong dal puttu at home. Finally i made this for breakfast and we both enjoyed this moong dal puttu again. It turned out almost the same which we had in the flight.
- Soak moong dal in water for an hour. After an hour drain the water and grind this into a smooth paste along with little salt.
- Do not add water while grinding.
- Steam this in a idli maker for 10 minutes.
- Allow this to cool and grind this in a mixer like how me make for paruppu usili. In a pan add oil, mustard seeds , curry leaves, chopped green chillies and asafoetida.
- Add the moong dal and add sugar to this. Add turmeric powder and the grated coconut.
- Mix well and add coriander leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes in a low flame.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Always serve this hot.
- Ensure the moong dal is well cooked while steaming. Else while grinding the mixture will be soggy.
- Do not over cook the steamed mixture else the puttu will be dry. You won’t get soft puttu.