SAMBAR WITH FRESH GROUND MASALA
“Vengaya sambar- Arachuvitta vengaya sambar is a tasty sambar
recipe made using freshly ground Sambar masala, a lentil-based onion gravy, cooked in tamarind sauce, popular in the South Indian cuisine. Addition of shallots to this sambar gives a delicious aroma. My mother used to make this Arachuvitta vengaya sambar whenever we had guests at home, especially newly-weds. She used to brilliantly make this along with Urulai Kizhangu fry, appalam and tomato rasam. To this day, we have a special soft corner for this sambar. Over to my mother’s version of this recipe.
Also check out my
INGREDIENTS: ( SERVES 4-5) | Preparation time: 40 minutes
|TOOR DAL||1/2 CUP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 AND 1/2 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|SAMBAR ONION| SHALLOTS||1/2 CUP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI||2+ 1|
|COCONUT SHREDDED||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|VENDHAYAM |METHI SEEDS||1/8 TSP|
Video of how to make chinna vengaya sambar
- Cook the toor dal with 1 and 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of turmeric powder in pressure cook till 3 whistles.
- Peel the skin of the onions and wash this nicely.
- Make tamarind extract from a gooseberry sized tamarind soaked in hot water.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds (if adding) and 1 red chilli broken into pieces.
- Add the sambar onion and saute in a medium low flame till the onions become turned golden brown.
- Add the tamarind extract and add sambar powder, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida and let this boil till the onions become soft and gets cooked. Do this in a medium low flame.
- Meanwhile in a small pan, add a tsp of oil and roast the channa dal, coriander seeds, redchillis till they become golden brown. When it is done add coconut to this and allow this to cool.
- Grind this into a smooth paste adding little water and keep aside.
- Add the cooked toordal to the boiling tamarind mixture and add the ground masala to this and mix gently.
- Add little water to reach the right sambar consistency.
- Add 1/2 tsp of jaggery . It’s optional only. Feel free to omit.
- Bring this to a nice boil without getting the sambar burnt at the bottom.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve hot with rice and Potato curry