We always make dosa with godhumai maavu (whole wheat flour) which we call as godhumai dosa or karacha maavu dosai aor wheat dosai. But have you ever tried dosa with Whole wheat grain. Actually my mom makes this but i have never remembered to ask her the recipe of this whole wheat grain dosa. Generally this whole wheat grain is used for making godhumai halwa. A reader asked me for a recipe of dosa using whole wheat grain . then it suddenly it flashed that amma makes this and asked her for the recipe. I made it according to her instructions and it turned out very well. The dosas were crispy and yummy and kids too ate without any fuss. Check out my ragi dosa recipe, kal dosai recipe.
Preparation Time : 10 mins + soaking,fermenting time 5 hrs| Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Makes: 14
Idli rice 1/2 cup
Urad dal 2 tblsp
Methi seeds | vendayam 1/2 tsp
Whole wheat (Muzhu Godhumai) 1 cup
Salt as needed
Oil as needed to make dosa
- Wash and soak the idli rice, urad dal and methi seeds together for 2 hours.
- Do not soak the wheat grain.
- After 2 hours just wash the wheat grain nicely and grind this along with the soaked rice and dal mixture.
- You can either grind in the mixie or you can use the grinder too. Grind this into a smooth paste.
- I have tried grinding both in mixie and grinder. Mixie took a little long time but turned out very well.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Ferment this for 3-4 hours. This tends to get fermented soon.
- Bring this batter to a dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a dosa pan and pour one big ladle of batter and spread it into a thin dosa.
- Smear oil on to this. Cook till golden brown.
- Repeat the same for rest of the dosa batter.
- No need to soak the whole wheat, the reason is it starts giving the milk.
- You can replace idli rice with any millet like varagu, kudravaali or ragi too.
- You can add finely chopped onions, cumin seeds, finely chopped green chili to the batter and make dosa.
- The batter tends to ferment so soon unlike our usual batter, so maximum 4 hours is enough.
Sounds yum, surely will try
Sounds yum, surely will try
godhumai maavu use pannalama??
I have given a separate version of godhumai maavu dosa. The same recipe i am not sure, you can try
will the wheat grain grind in grinder without soaking. seems like will spoil the appliance.
No, it will not, i have tried this in grinder and mixie. Not even a odd sound came while grinding.
Jeyashri how much wheat do we need to use. Cannot make out if it is 1 or 1/2 cup
Nice n different from the regular dosa batter
wheat grain dosai super. Never heard about this type.
I tried this recipe. It came out excellent for me.
I tried with Whole samba wheat.
Nice recipe. Thanks for posting
Nice recipe..thanks for posting sis
You have mentioned that this batter ferments soon. Does it mean that we have to grind and use it up the same day? Can I grind in the afternoon, leave it out for 3-4 hours and refrigerate for use the next morning?
Only fermentation is for 3-4 hours, you can use it up the next day also. You can grind in the afternoon and ferment it and refrigerate and use it next day
Never heard about such a recipe..really super n healthy. Surely wud try
Can we use gohumai rava instead of whole godhumai?
I haven’t tried that one.