SAMBAR WITH FRESH GROUND MASALA
When we were kids vengaya sambar is the one which my mom makes whenever we have guests at home and especially any newly married couple visit our home, she makes arachuvitta vengaya sambar and potato curry along with papad and tomato rasam. So we always have love towards this sambar even now and my mom makes this so well and over to the recipe of vengaya sambar – My mom’s version.
|TOOR DAL||1/2 CUP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||3/4 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|SAMBAR ONION| SHALLOTS||20 NO|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI||2 NO plus 1 NO|
|COCONUT SHREDDED||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|FENUGREEK SEEDS(VENDAYAM)||1/8 TSP|
- Cook the toor dal with 1 and 1/2 cup of water in pressure cook till 3 whistles.
- Peel the skin of the onions and wash this nicely.
- Make tamarind extract from a gooseberry sized tamarind soaked in hot water.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds and 1 red chilli broken into pieces.
- Add the sambar onion and saute in a medium low flame till the onions become turned golden brown.
- Add the tamarind extract and add sambar powder, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida and let this boil till the onions become soft and gets cooked. Do this in a medium low flame.
- Meanwhile in a small pan, add a tsp of oil and roast the channa dal, coriander seeds, redchillis till they become golden brown. When it is done add coconut to this and allow this to cool.
- Grind this into a smooth paste adding little water and keep aside.
- Add the cooked toordal to the boiling tamarind mixture and add the ground masala to this and mix gently.
- Add little water to reach the right sambar consistency.
- I added 1/3 cup of water.
- Bring this to a nice boil without getting the sambar burnt at the bottom.
- Garnish with curry leaves and corinader leaves.
- Serve hot with rice and Potato curry