I used potato and carrots. In the original recipe they used green peas also. since i don’t have green peas in hand i didn’t add.
|WHOLE BLACK PEPPER||1/2 TSP|
|THIN COCONUT MILK||1 AND 1/41 CUP|
|THICK COCONUT MILK||1/2 CUP|
|CINNAMON||1 SMALL PIECE|
|GINGER||A SMAL PIECE|
- Boil the potatoes , peel the skin and cut them into cubes.
- Chop the onions into thin slices.
- Slit the green chillis into two.
- Peel the skin of the carrots and chop into pieces.
- Crush the ginger and garlic using a mortar and pestle.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the cloves, cinnamon, crushed ginger and garlic and green chilli.
- Now add the onions and saute for few seconds in medium flame.
- Add the whole pepper too.
- Add the carrots and saute for a minute. Be careful not to burn.
- Now add the thin coconut milk. I used the store bought coconut milk. As it was thick i diluted 1/4 of thick coconut by adding 1 cup of water.
- If adding green peas add at this stage.
- Let this boil in medium flame for about 10 to 12 minutes, till the carrots becomes soft. Add the cubed potatoes and add the thick coconut milk.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil. Switch off the flame and add curry leaves and salt.
- The gravy will be thick and if you want to make it thin add 1/2 cup of plain milk to this or if you want this to be very thick soak 7-8 pieces of cashew nuts in warm water and grind them into a smooth paste and add it in the last. Mix with the thick coconut milk and add to the gravy.
- Boiling potatoes before hand can be skipped and it can be peeled and cubed and added after adding onions along with carrots.
- Using Coconut oil will enhance the flavor and taste.
- I felt 4 green chillis was not enough as the coconut milk is slightly sweet.