Baby corn manchurian is a popular indo chinese dish, which can be made as a dry version and also as a gravy too. I have tried Vegetable manchurian , but never tried manchurian gravy with baby corn. Last week, i called my friend’s daughter to join for dinner with my kids. I asked her anything she likes so much so that i can make for her. She instantly said fried rice and baby corn manchurian. I tried and it came out pretty well and all the kids enjoyed and we too loved it.
- Wash the baby corn and cut them into medium size pieces.
- In a pan add water and add little salt. Put the baby corn into this and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, till the become little tender.
- This process makes the baby corn to absorb the manchurian gravy and makes the dish juicy.
- Take this out from water and drain the water. Pat dry this.
- Make the batter with the ingredients given under the heading”for the batter”.
- I made a batter which is bit thin. As i like it in that way , i made it. If you want a bit thicker one and want the nice coating of batter on the baby corn, adjust the water accordingly.
- Dip the baby corns in the batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Put the dipped baby corn in oil one by one. Do not put too much at a time.
- Deep fry them till golden brown. Drain the excess water in a kitchen tissue.
- Now let’s move on to make the gravy. finely chop the ginger, garlic and slit the green chilly.
- In a pan add oil and add the chopped ginger, garlic,spring onion whites and green chilly.
- saute for few minutes.
- Once done, add in the water and soya sauce.
- Mix the cornflour in little water to a thin paste(without any lumps) and add to the water.
- the gravy will start thickening. Keep the flame low.
- Add the black pepper powder.
- Add in the deep fried baby corn and mix well. Add the cubed bell pepper too and cook for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with spring onion greens before serving.
- Serve hot with fried rice or hakka noodles.
- You can add 1 tsp of tomato sauce to the gravy , if you want. Add at the time of adding soyasauce.
- I used dark soya sauce and so i got this colour. I never realised that dark soya sauce will give nice colour to the manchurian.
- If serving later , make the gravy and fry the baby corns and keep separately. Add it to the gravy half an hour before serving. Even the capsicums too.
- If you don’t like the bell pepper raw, you can separately saute this for few minutes in little oil and add to the gravy.