Also check out my
In this recipe the brinjals are cooked in the water which is used to rinse the rice. After a quick wash of uncooked rice take out the second water which is used to wash the rice, which we normally discard.
|WATER FROM WASHED RICE||2 CUPS|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
- Cut the brinjals into four halves( i used the small one)
- In a pan add oil and roast the coriander seeds, channa dal, red chilly and shallots till the dal turns golden brown.
- Allow this to cool and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile cook the brinjals in the washed rice water, which is otherwise called as arisi mandi.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to this.
- Grind the roasted spices along with coconut into a fine paste, adding little water water to this .
- When the brinjals are half cooked add this ground masala and cook nicely in a medium low flame.
- When the brinjals are completely cooked and the gravy becomes thick switch off the flame.
- Garnish with curry leaves and enjoy with hot rice.
The water which we use gives a nice creamy texture to the gravy and its quite healthy too.