Kaima idli | fried idli is a must one in the list of order whenever we go to Saravana Bhavan. This time also during our vacation heartily had this kaima idli there. But i have never attempted to make this at home. Deep frying healthy food like idli makes me to feel guilt. But wanted to surprise my daughter Varsha, who is a big fan of this idli, i made this today. She loved this very much and surprisingly Varun also liked this. I referred Yummy tummy’s blog for this recipe of kaima idli. Give it a try at home and once in a while deep fried is ok. It was too juicy and was very flavourful too. This can be done with left over idlis too.
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Oil for deep frying + 1 tblsp
Ginger Garlic Paste 1/2 tsp
Green peas 3 tblsp
Cashew nuts few
Sambar powder 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
Tomato Ketchup 1 tsp
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Saunf powder |sombu powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
Salt to taste
- Make idlis and keep them in the freezer for 3-4 hours. If you are making in the morning for breakfast and you can keep the left over ones in the freezer till the evening to make this kaima idli.
- Chop the onions finely and the carrot into small cubes. Chop the capsicum into cubes. Cut the idlis took from the freezer into big cubes.
- In a pan heat the oil and deep fry the idli till it becomes golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil in the kitchen towel.
- In another pan add oil and add ginger garlic paste. When the raw smell goes, add the chopped onions. Saute them and add the cashew nuts too. Saute for few minutes.
- Grind the tomato and add the puree to this. You can use store bought puree too.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt, sombu powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and tomato ketchup.
- Cook this nicely in a low flame till the raw smell goes.
- Add the carrots, peas and capsicum to this.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook for 2 minutes in medium low flame.
- Add in the fried idlis to this.
- Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves. If needed squeeze little lemon juice.
- Always refrigerate the idli before frying, else idlis will break in oil.
- Add more red chilli powder and few green chilis will make it super hot. Mine was mild spicy.
- Sweet corn kernels can also be added.
- If you do not have fennel powder|sombu podi at home just temper with fennel seeds while adding ginger garlic paste.