Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Bitter gourd 2 small size
Cooked toor dal 1 cup
Black channa 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Sambar powder 2 tsp
Oil 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Tamarind a small gooseberry sized
Salt as needed
To roast and grind
Urad dal 1 tblsp
Coriander seeds 3 tsp
Channa dal 1/2 tblsp
Red chili 3
Coconut 3 tblsp
- Soak black channa over night or for 6 hours
- Cut the bittergourd in circular shape and pressure cook it along with black channa adding little bit of salt to it and turmeric powder.
- Heat a kadai and add oil.Temper with mustard seeds ,one red chilli nad add the tamarind extract .Add sambhar powder,asafoedita ,turmeric powder,salt and boil for 5 mins.
- Add the cooked bitter gourd and channa this and boil till the raw smell goes.
- Dry roast the urad dhal,channa dal,coriander seeds,redchilli and grind it into a smooth paste along with the coconut.
- Now add the toor dal and ground paste to it and once it comes to a right consistency switch off the flame.
- Garnish curry leaves to it.
- .The same pitlai can be made using ash gourd and brinjal instead of bitter gourd.
- .If you forget to soak kondakadalai | black chick peas overnight can use channa dhal also.
- .Instead of black channa,we can use chick peas,peanuts,and even mochai.
- Serve hot with rice with a spoon of ghee topped on it.