This recipe is a yogurt based gravy , which my mom makes with keerai thandu(stem of the spinach) and vazhaithandu(banana stem). Whenever I make Keerai masiyal or Keerai poriyal I include the stem in that. This time I wanted to try out this morkootu as i had a sudden craving for this.
|SPINACH STEM (CHOPPED)||1 CUP|
|GREEN CHILLI||1 NO|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|RICE FLOUR||1/4 TSP|
|COCONUT OIL||1 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Chop the stem of the spinach finely. Discard the root.
- Cook this in a pan adding very less water.Add salt while cooking.
- This will get cooked in 7-10 minutes.
- Grind the coconut, green chilli and cumin seeds along with the rice flour into a smooth paste.Add little water while grinding.
- Mix the paste to the cooked spinach stem and add the yogurt to this.
- Mix well to form a thick gravy. do not add much water as it will make the kootu watery.
- After adding yogurt do not boil for a long time. Just put off the flame in a minute.
- Temper with mustard seeds and serve with rice .
- This taste best when served with rice and Vatha kuzhambhu