INGREDIENTS (FOR POORNAM) FOR 9 MODAKAM
|ELLU | TILL | SESAME SEEDS||1/4 CUP|
|COCONUT||1 TBLSP (OPTIONAL)|
|IDIYAPPAM FLOUR||1/2 CUP|
|SESAME OIL||1 TSP|
Video for how to shape Modakam
- Dry roast the the sesame seeds and when it is cool grind this along with jaggery and coconut(if adding)
- The oil in the sesame seeds makes this to come into a whole mass.
- roll this into small balls.
- Make the dough by adding enough boiling hot water to the idiyappam flour.
- Cover it for 2 minutes. when it is warm, grease your hands with sesame oil and knead into a pliable dough. Divide the dough into equal parts. Cover it else it will get dry.
- Take a small portion of dough and with your fingers make it like a cup. Place the ellu urundai into this and make it into a modak shape.
- Repeat this for the rest of the dough. Steam this in a idli maker and steam for 10 minutes.
- Ellu kozhukattais are ready for neivedhyam.
- I made this using white sesame seeds. You can use black sesame seeds too.
- I found 1 tblsp jaggery will be enough for the ellu poornam.