As pillayar chaturthi is nearing, i wanted to share an uppu kozhukattai recipe, generally we make uppu kozhukattai with urad dal poornam ,for which i have shared the recipe here. Last week when i was making Paruppu usili for lunch a sudden thought flashed, how it will be if i stuff the paruppu usili minus vegetable inside a kozhukattai as poornam. I just tried with 2 tblsp of steamed dal mixture which we use for paruppu usili to make 6-7 uppu kozhakattai. They turned out fantastic and was a super duper hit at home too. I am not going to explain the detailed step of how to make paruppu usili here. Please click here for the usli recipe. For making the outer layer of the kozhakattai see here. So let me directly go the recipe without elaborating much on the ingredients list. Feel free to ask any questions if u have any doubt in this recipe.
Check out my Collection of vinayagar chaturthi recipes HERE
INGREDIENTS: FOR 6 KOZHUKATTAIS
|PARUPPU USILI POORNAM||2 TBLSP|
|RICE FLOUR | IDIYAPPAM FLOUR||1/3 CUP|
|SESAME OIL||1-2 TSP|
- After steaming the grind dal which we soaked for usili, allow that to cool and grind it in a mixer. In a pan add oil and throw in few mustard seeds and curry leaves and saute the poornam for a minute.
- Poornam is ready. Take a lemon sized of outer dough (refer HERE for the recipe)
- With your fingers make a cup put of this and place little poornam inside this and carefully seal this as how we seal the uppu ulundu kozhukattai.
- Repeat this for the rest of the poornam and dough. Steam this ina greased idli maker for 8- 10 minutes.
- Soft uppu kozhukattais are ready for neivedhyam. At our house we don’t offer uppu kozhukattais for neivedhyam. We make only modakams for neivedhyam.