Chutney without coconut
It has been a long time since i posted a recipe in the category Side dish for Idli | dosa. This carrot chutney, though not very regular, but i make when i run out of tomatoes. A very simple chutney and best way to make kids eat carrots too. I just made it in my Kara chutney style , with few alterations. We all loved the taste and it tasted so yum with Dosai. Try out this Carrot Chutney and even you can have with parathas too.
- In a pan add little oil and roast the urad dal, red chili and tamarind, till the dal turns golden brown. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the onions(take the skin of the onions) and garlic.
- Roast till golden brown. Keep it aside. Roast in a small flame.
- Add in the roughly chopped carrots. Cook in a low flame for 5 minutes.
- When everything is cool, grind urad dal, red chilli, tamarind, onions, garlic and carrots along with salt into a fine paste. You can add water while grinding.
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Carrot Chutney is ready to serve.
- You can add little grated coconut while grinding.
- Shallots can be replaced with big onions.
- Urad dal can be replaced with channa dal