Idlis are are always the one which most of the mom struggle to feed their kids, especially in a South Indian family, Yes as far as i have seen among my kids friends, the South Indian kids don’t like to have idli in their lunch box and where as the North Indian friends finish the Idli milagai podi within no time. Please excuse if it is the reverse at your house. Even whenever i pack idli for lunch box i feel guilty that i didn’t pack any veggie for them. This idea for this podi idli came to me when i met a reader during my recent trip to India. It always makes me very happy when i meet my readers. I met her in the Chennai Domestic Airport and it so happened we both were sitting next to each other even in the flight from Chennai to Hyderabad. that time she shared that she tried my ammini kozhukattai recipe by adding peanuts to it and kids loved it too. Thanks Laskhmi. When i was making idli 2 days back suddenly this thought came and finally i came with the idea of Kids friendly podi idli. I totally loved this and feel free to give your own touch according to the preference of your child. Scroll down to the notes section for more tips.If you have Idli batter at home go ahead to try this easy recipe. PREPATION TIME: 5 MINUTES .COOKING TIME: 10 MINUTES . SERVES: 2 INGREDIENTS:
|IDLI BATTER||1/2 CUP|
|MILAGAI PODI||1-2 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||1/2 TSP|
|COOKING OIL||1/2 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/4 TSP|
- Make mini idlis with the batter. See my post on (how to make idlis.)
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds, Add curry leaves, urad dal, peanuts and saute till it turns nice golden brown. Keep the flame low.
- Add the idli milagai podi according to your spice level.
- Toss this carefully to get mixed evenly.
- Add in the grated carrots and coriander leaves
- .Switch off the flame.
- Podi idlis are ready to serve now.
- You can pack this for the kids lunch box too.
- You can add add finely chopped capsicum , mushroom if your kids like that.
- Even corn kernels can also be added while sauting the urad dal.
- You can squeeze in some lemon juice in the last to get a tangy flavor.
Stay tuned for more interesting options with idli soon.