Sunday, January 30, 2011
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Thogaiyals are very handy and i almost make this on weekends and my family loves this the most, especially my daughter is a big fan of thogaiyal. Always i make Thengai thogaiyal or Parrupu thogaiyal, but this thogaiyal i suddenly remembered and asked my mom for the exact recipe. We all enjoyed this with rice along with oven roasted papad.
|RIDGE GOURD||1 NO|
|URAD DHAL||3 TBLSP|
|TAMARIND||A SMALL PIECE|
|COCONUT SCRAPPED||1 TSP(OPTIONAL)|
- Peel the skin of the ridge gourd and chop it roughly.
- In a kadai, add oil and throw in the urad dhal, redchillies, tamarind and asafoetida.
- Fry till it turns gold in colour.
- Keep it aside.
- In the same kadai, add the roughly chopped ridgegourd pieces and saute till it becomes soft and cooked nicely.
- Allow it to cool
- First grind the dal and redchilli mixture along with the coconut(if using) .
- Then finally add the ridge gourd and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Don not add any water,as the ridge gourd will ooze out water.
- Normally we mix thogaiyal with hot rice with sesame oil mixed to it.
- We can use this as a side dish for idli/ dosa.
- I personally love to spread this on bread .
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Though i dont make deep fried snacks very often, sometimes when i have guests at my place during teatime i would love to serve tea with any deep fried snack . This pakoda i have tried many times and this time i made for my friends and they all loved this.
|REDCHILLI POWDER||1 TSP|
|CORIANDER LEAVES CHOPPED||1 HANDFUL|
|OIL||TO DEEP FRY|
- Cut the onions into very finely.
- In a big bowl, add poha, onions, salt redchilli powder,maida and coriander leaves.
- Mix it nicely.
- Let this mixture sit for 1/2 an hour.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes nicely.
- I pressure cooked it till 5-6 whistles.
- When it is done, peel off the skin and allow it cool.
- Now mash them nicely with the back of a fork and mix it well with the poha mixture.
- Make it into small balls .
- Do not add any water to the mixture.
- The water oozed out from the onions is enough to make balls.
- While making the balls ,do it very tightly.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying the pakoda balls.
- When it is hot put the balls in batches and fry it till it turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
It turned out really well and my son, who never eats broccoli, loved the soup very much.
|BROCCOLI||1 MEDIUM SIZED|
- Cut the broccoli into pieces and wash them.
- Cut the onions and potatoes into big cubes.
- Peel the skin of garlic .
- Keep some florets of broccoli aside .
- Pressure cook the rest with onions,potatoes and garlic till 3 whistles.
- Allow it cool. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add 1 cup of water and the milk to the ground mixture.
- Bring it to a nice boil and add the pepper and salt .
- Boil the few broccoli florets, which we kept aside, in 1/2 cup of water.
- Put these florets in the soup.
- You can skip this step also.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
This is an very easy upma which is made with poha(rice flakes) and quite healthy too. We all love this upma and this will be our morning breakfast during weekend.
For this upma i used the THICK POHA. You can use the thin one also.
|GREEN CHILLI||3 NOS|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|LEMON JUICE||1 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|RED CHILLI||1 NO.|
- Wash the poha in water and soak it in the water for a minute.
- Drain the water completely.
- Cut the onions and chillies into fine pieces.
- In a kadai, add a little oil and saute the capsicum for 5 mins.
- Let this be crunchy. Do not over cook.
- I used the Green and Red colour capsicum.
- Keep it aside.
- Add oil to this kadai and throw in the mustard seeds.
- Add the green chilies red chili and onions .
- Saute till the onion turns pink. Add salt to this.
- Add the peanuts at this stage.
- Saute for few mins .
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now add the poha and keep in a slow flame.
- Throw in the capsicum and mix well.
- Now switch off the flame and add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander.
This upma we normally have very hot with any pickle as an accompaniment.
- You can add boiled and cubed potatoes to this upma .
- If adding potatoes add it after sauting the peanuts.
- This has to be served hot
- If you are using thin poha,just skip the step of soaking in the water for a minute.
Wish all my reader, friends,visitors a very HAPPY PONGAL.
CLICK HERE FOR SAKKARAI PONGAL(SWEET PONGAL) RECIPE.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Cauliflower Rice is one of the my favorite recipe. Though i made this cauliflower rice many times for lunch box , i never had time to click the pictures on weekday mornings. Finally i made it on a day when my hubby came home for lunch and kids were also on holiday.
|CAUIFLOWER FLORETS||1/2 CUP|
|BASMATHI RICE||3/4 CUP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
- Wash the rise and soak it in 1 and half cup of water for half an hour.
- Pressure cook the rice by adding little salt and a drop of oil.
- When it is done allow it to cool in a broad vessel.
- Immerse the cauliflower florets in hot water for 5 seconds and take it out.
- Cut the onions into big pieces and sauté them till it turns pink.
- Allow it to cool and grind it to a smooth paste along with elachi,garlic,tomato and cloves.
- In a Kadai add oil and sauté the cauliflower by adding redchilli powder and salt to it.
- It took 15 mins for me to roast the cauliflower without adding much oil.
- When the cauliflowers are done keep it separately.
- In the Kadai add the ground macula and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Keep it in a low flame while frying.
- Now add the cooked cauliflower florets to this. Mix well.
- Mix it well with rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with any rather of your choice.