Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Masala Vadai | Paruppu Vadai can be made as a starter when we have guests at home and can be made during teatime as a snack. My family loves this and especially my daughter is a big fan of masala vadai.
My mom makes this with only channa dal, but i learnt this version from my relative. While making for festivals such as Avanni Avittam and Bogi just follow the same procedure, except, omit the onions.
|CHANNA DAL||1 CUP|
|TOOR DAL||1/2 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONGDAL||1/4 CUP|
|RED CHILLIES||6-7 NOS.|
|ASFOETIDA||A GENEROUS PINCH|
|BIG ONIONS FINELY CHOPPED||1 NO.|
|CORIANDER LEAVES(CHOPPED)||2 TBLSP|
|MINT LEAVES(CHOPPED)||1 TSP(OPTIONAL)|
|SAUNF(FENNEL SEEDS)||1/4 TSP|
- Soak all the dals together for 1-2 hours
- Grind it in the mixie along with chilies, saunf ,salt,asafoetida and curry leaves adding very little water to it.
- Grind it little coarsely.
- Add the finely chopped onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add the ghee to it.(adding this gives more crispiness to the vadai)
- Mix it well.
- Make it into bite sized patties and deep fry it oil
- Keep the oil in medium flame, or else it will not get cooked inside.
- Drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Serve it with tomato sauce.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Hi Friends, I am back after a month’s break. As we shifted our house it took some time for me to settle down in the new house.
So this time i wanted to make a sweet , since the entire family is a so happy as my brother-in-law got married last week. Coming to the recipe of Carrot Halwa. What we need is:
UPDATE: SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE ALTERNATE EASY METHOD OF MAKING CARROT HALWA
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES . MAKES:1 AND 1/2 CUP HALWA
|CARROT GRATED||2 CUPS|
|FULL CREAM MILK||2 CUPS|
|SUGAR OR CONDENSED MILK||3 TBLSP|
|CASHEW AND BADAM||FEW(FINELY CHOPPED)|
|GHEE(CLARIFIED BUTTER)||1/2 TSP|
- Grate the carrots in a grater which has medium sized holes.
- In a kadai, add the grated carrots and milk
- Boil it in a medium flame stirring in between.
- Boil till the carrots are cooked and all the milk get absorbed.
- If you are using sugar, don’t add condensed milk
- Add sugar at this stage and stir well.
- Switch off the flame and golden fry the nuts in ghee.
- Add to the carrot halwa.
- If you are using condensed milk, add at the final stage and stir till the mixture gets thicken.
- Peel the skin of the carrots and wash them . Chop them roughly into pieces.
- Pulse this in a mixer.Add milk to this and pressure cook this for 2 whistles.
- Once done, add the cooked mixture to a pan and ad condensed milk. Boil till the rest of the milk gets absorbed. This will take 10 minutes approximately.
- Serve hot .
- I served with vanilla ice cream, since we all love this combo a lot.
- For 2 cups of grated carrots, we will get 1 1/2 cups of halwa.
- You can keep it in the fridge and can consume within 2 days from the day of preparation.